Monday 18 March 2013

In search of Portrait

When people were willing but stun; Sun bright but was a relief.

I started 8:00 AM from Bur Dubai Abra station, Dubai, with the walk of an hour planned. It was bright and a pleasant morning (28 degree Celsius). I intended to make head-shots and wanted to make them up-close, and no monotone this time. I had Canon 5D Mark II with EF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM on it; mounted Canon Video-Cam HF21 on the hot shoe, left Flash in the bag :(.

Photographing a common person up-close makes them stressed, stiff and stun; their smile painful and eyes wide open. Emotionally dumb and awestruck. A picture where only thing is a person's head, then that head must be shot well. I find it useful for untrained models to make them squint and look kinda up-to something. Bright Sun was blessing then. I didn't have to ask anyone to pose, Sun made if for me through out the walk. When it did not I struggle to make a good shot.

This walk was fun when most were ready with a nudge of camera, few posed without asking seeing Canon in my hands, a couple said weak no but with very little persuasion smiled for camera. I missed flash and a fellow photographer though...

All images were shot in AV mode, f/4 - f5.6, exposure compensation of 0 or +-1/3. ISO 100-200.

Pathan or Khan Sab as commonly addressed, favorite model of every photographer.


Mohammad Ali, this Abra driver makes a good model, always smiling and squinted. What would you do with the pictures you take?

Initially he resisted but agreed for a shot (burst :) )

Aaah, and the stiff one... stood like a soldier and left me wondering!

Ever ready for camera!

And again stiff one... depth and experience on the face made the pic for me...


Wide open and awe-struck

Happy to see you - very much ready and posed without asking


Jubilant one, was scaling the fish; when see the camera on his face shouted aaaaaawwwwwwww....


Could not convince him for face, shot his head from other angle


Surprised by the size of his hands

I have included few from the walk. Walk video:  http://youtu.be/1rbWThw_HMw
Enjoy... and happy shooting!




No comments:

Post a Comment